Monday, May 3, 2010

"Truck Stop Salvation"

I don't know...lately I have doubted my love for the people a little bit. I have found that I keep thinking that they are the biggest hypocrites. They talk more about God than any other culture, but they probably do the least about their beliefs. Everyone we teach seems to be another preacher, another pastor that knows everything about the Bible without having read it...and almost everyone has their "own way" to worship God that will save them. Of course, it is more than easy to love the members but sometimes I find I really need to persevere on my knees to find the love for the people here. I am praying everyday to love the people for who they are, and to love them a little bit more how God loves them. I do know that the people here are how they are not for any fault of their own, but because of the traditions of their fathers....they have been pounded with "the good word" since infancy to the point where we talk to them and it enters into their ears and goes out the other. It's just frustrating. But they are a people that have been so oppressed...it really is not their fault. We must just be that much more powerful with the spirit. And like you (mom) said make yourself available to the Holy Ghost's influence. The Book of Mormon is the key! Isn't it? I love it. That is our biggest goal when we teach. No man can pray to know if that book is true and not receive an answer if they read that book with a true desire to know if it's true and to change their life according to their answer.

Elder Schwab is a stud. He gets up at 6:15 to run at a park that is not to far from our home...but he is one of those persons that doesn't like to push himself too hard. Run one lap, walk another type haha. So I give him garbage about him working out like a girl, and he gives me garbage about eating like a girl . We are starting back up with Pres Menardin tomorrow...he was in Santo Domingo for an area conference.

HAHAHA....oh shoot....little Ty (Seagle) is not so innocent anymore (Ty pulled a trick with a zipper and a finger). It sounds like something T FUD would do. I can't wait to see my little bud Ty again. Ange and Bry have got a great family!


Andy's letter to President Gamiette follows:

The Abymes area is going just great! I'm so blessed at this time to be serving with a new elder, because he is helping me stay hopeful and faithful. We had a really rough week. We taught many first lessons this week, preaching the doctrine of the restoration. Although I did a lot of the teaching, Elder Schwab is helping out a lot as well, and he is doing great at testifying. The reason for why the week was hard was because we extended probably 15 baptismal dates and very few accepted. I felt the power of the Holy Ghost very strongly as we taught these people, and I knew that many of those we taught understood and felt the spirit as well. It is hard to see so many people turning this GREAT message down...THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING OUT ON!!! Oh how lucky I am to have Elder Schwab who always has an encouraging..."the next rendez vous will be the ONE" ...and I believe it...I believe as we go about preaching the word, tiring ourselves and being obedient we will continue to win God's trust and power. So we are keeping a good attitude and focusing on the great miracles and blessings we are seeing.

Speaking of which, our recent reactivated convert blessed the Sacrament yesterday. It was just wonderful to see this man, Jose, use the priesthood he has to bless the lives of members...our other recently activated brother, Simon, brought his brother to church yesterday. So things our going well!! This week we see a need to up our contacts. Elder Schwab has been pretty nervous and scared to do them, but his confidence is building up and he is really starting to come along.

Thanks president for allowing me to serve here in Abymes. These members are amazing; I love them so much, and I would really love to continue serving with them. Thanks for all you do.

No comments: