Monday, May 10, 2010

"Hot, hot, hot"

Sorry I didn't write much today. I want you all to do know that I don't plan to let up. I got to push push all the way so that my momentum will carry me through and past my return date home. I plan to serve, and kick just as much butt at home as I do here. That is my prayer. And so the same spirit that possesses my spirit on my mission will have the power over me after. That has kind of been my motto and my motivation. I just know if I can't learn to always have effective scripture studyings, to serve even when it's hard, to meet my goals, well then, I sure have no hope to do it after my mission. This work of saving souls, does not stop when I get home. If all I'm doing my working is saving mine own, so be it. But glory to God, and let us build up his kingdom in all parts of the world, and pray that we might be instruments in his hands.

I think it is kinda selfish of me, but I'm kinda hoping that Tucker leaves on his mission at least a little after I get home.

WOW...talk about multiplying and replenishing the earth...that's wonderful news that Emily is pregnant.

Alright well I love yall...have a great week!

Also during our phone call with Andy for Mother's Day, Andy shared with us that he was fortunate enough to participate in a radio program that was broadcast throughout the French Caribbean. Andy, President Gamiette, Elder Lish, and a local member answered questions about the church and its missionary program.

It's been really hot on Guadeloupe. It reached 105 degrees on Sunday. The good side of the heat is that all the fruit is growing and ripe for the picking. He said that they are eating lots of mangos, plantains, and bread fruit. He shared with us how they prepared the bread fruit. He learned how to properly prepare it from Elder Anahia. First, put the fruit on the stove top and burn the skin. They then tear the skin from the fruit, and place the flesh in a towel or t-shirt. They beat the flesh until it is the consistency of dough. Then scoop the flesh into small ball shapes, and soak for two hours in coconut milk. Andy tells us that this is the way the Tahitians use the bread fruit, and it's a great treat.

Andy's Letter to President Gamiette:

Dear President,
Thank you so much for the wonderful Zone Conference that we had. I feel my faith was increased, especially to achieve our goals. These last couple months i have not been meeting all my goals and I realize the damage that it has done to my faith, and my ability to succeed. This week, and more precisely today, is the day that changes! Me and Elder Schwab are excited to go and be challenging and testifying misionaries. Last week we taught many first lessons, and found 8 New investigators that all accepted baptismal dates! What a miracle. We had over 10 people who should have come to church, but as the lord sometimes does, our faith was tried and only 3 ended up coming. However, we were not disappointed. These three people, Sister Onestas, Claude Laurent, and Charles Garnett, are all on track to be baptized soon. I am perfectly fine with the fact that 70 percent of those we challenged did not come to church, but the fact remains there are 3 people that we have on track to be baptized. What a miracle from the Lord! Me and elder Schwab are excited to go out and challenge some more this week. Our goal is to challenge 16 people this week to baptism. Like you during your mission, many are saying yes. So mine and Elder Schwab's goal now is to effectively help our amis (friends) progress by helping them read and understand the doctrines of the gospel according to the book of mormon and use members to integrate them and befriend them.

This week was not so great with our less actives. Our friend Lucea, however, is now active, and is now using his car to pick up members and investigators every Sunday! It has really been a real blessing for the branch. He is making huge sacrifices to come to church. This last Saturday he started work at 9 at night, finished at 7 Sunday morning. He went to church at 9 and then had to be back at work at 2. Great, great sacrifices for the Lord!

1 comment:

Garr's Mom said...

I love how Andy wants to go out with a bang... he is such a great missionary