Thursday, April 15, 2010

"The Oldest (Handiest) Frenchman in the Caribbean"

HEY EVERYONE....sorry I'm late in writing....this week has been crazy hard and difficult, at least for my own area. Three days this week i had to be out of the area for baptismal interviews...so the work kinda of floundered... But i Still choose to glory in God and the his mighty hand in the work. What a great reason to rejoice! Three baptisms, three more Zion builders and workers. But, there will be a change in Abymes...Elder Evans will be going to the other Abymes Branch in Point a Pitre and I'll be training Elder Schuab!!! HAHA...STUMP THE SCHUAB (old game show on ESPN)...just by his name I'm sure he will be a pimp! He arrives tomorrow. So I already have some pretty funny ideas in my head about what he will look like.

But, let me tell you why the work has been a little rough...Madame Onestas is having her faith really tried at the moment. Like i told you, her baptismal date was for this next week. Well, when her children found out about that they did all they could to put a stop to it. Unfortunately, like many misinformed losers, they believe the rumors that fly around about our church. One of her sons is also Jehovah's Witness, and the crap he is giving her is about being baptized is enough to give her a heart attack. I talked with her last night and she really wants to be baptized...she has felt the spirit many times, and she sees its influence in the lives of other members. She is really confused though and does not want to create contention in the family. My new companion, Elder SCHUAB, and I will do our best to discuss the manner with her kids. I know she would benefit greatly from your prayers.

We have also been teaching another mamie...or grandma...Sister Vincia...from Dominica. She is a really smiley, happy lady! She is so humble as most Dominicans are. Ten years ago she met the missionaries and she was recontacted about 7 months ago. Things had slowly been progressing with her until finally she came to church my first week in the area! However, after that week she has had trouble keeping commitments and reading from the Book of Mormon. It was one of the hardest persons I have ever had to drop. She loves the missionaries so much and she has a testimony that all we teach is true...but right now was just not her time. I felt terrible as we said goodbye for the last time, but I have hope that the missionaries will once again contact her when she is more ready.

Although investigators are not panning out at the moment, we are finding a great deal of success with inactives. Simon and Jose both came to church this last Sunday, along with the Lunguidy family. It is really such a tender mercy from the Lord to be able to have even those little successes to keep motivated and excited about the work. It has been hard with Elder Roberts and Snow leaving and all. But I look forward to serving a good while longer among this absolutely incredible people.

I am not too nervous to train, i just hope the Lord will help me be someone of a good teacher for Elder Schuab...but as is usually the case I'm sure the Lord will permit that I end up learning much more.

Dang....the playoffs are heating up...the March Madness seemed pretty loco....and well there is golf...as much as I'm missing those sports I'm getting more and more nervous to get home. Seeing my buddies leave the field is hard each time, and makes me count my blessings and the good amount of time I have left. KICK BUTT!

Other tidbits: Now that some of the older missionaries have finished their missions, Andy is also close with "his current zone leader, Elder Lish and Elder West also. He is going to Guyan though so that sucks. Elder Roderiguez feels like my little bro, but I still talk to him every week or so. Ee is tearing it up in Guyane."

Sorry short emails this week! I didn't get too long

LOVE Y'ALL

1 comment:

Julie said...

That's a short email? Wow! We'd considered that a long one.