Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Love and Luck"

We had a beautiful baptism for Cesar this week, and although Jose was not there with him in white, he felt the spirit of it all, and the sacred alliance Cesar made. Jose is going to have to wait...something that we didn't expect, we are just waiting on permission from Salt Lake. But he is strong! He is going to be baptised without a shadow of a doubt! He is my buddy Jose. This last week as we taught the law of chastity he shyly asked if it's alright to date woman from the church. Of course we answered that it was more than alright but encouraged. He was all smiles after that. Haha. After playing detective for a minute we found out he has a crush on the organist. She is about the same age as him, 30ish, but she does not speak a lick of Spanish, and he doesn't speak a lick of French. Hahah...even after telling him that though he was just fine knowing that he could give it a shot. He is a great brother though.
Elder Rodriguez and I are getting along great. He gets mad because I laugh at his accent when he speaks in English, but whatever...I think it's hilarious... I told him he can make fun of my Spanish and French accents which are terrible if it makes him feel better. But, I learn a lot from him about being patient and kicking butt. We start today working in Cayenne all by ourselves now that Elder Anahia and Taerea have left. That was hard to see them go. One because Elder Anahia was a G...He was one of my good good friends in the mission. Two, it reminded me that I have less than 6 months left. PEDAL TO THE MEDAL THOUGH. With only two of us we know that the work will be hard, and will require much planning and effort to stay on top of the work load. But, we are excited to be able to work again with most of the French members. We feel that this branch has a lot of room to grow in unity. And it's a real thin line that the branch walks right now. The last couple of weeks we have seen members walk out of sacrament meeting because they were sick of hearing Spanish, or sick of the slowness of talks because of translations from Spanish to French(or French to Spanish). President Parades is still new, and is learning a lot still. And we try to support him in everything he does. He is the glue of the branch right now even if some of the members don't realize it. As we have seen these problems though, I have been deeply touched by the love of God. My love for all the members here in Cayenne has grown so much. By loving them I have been able to understand their differences and why the complain sometimes. Elder Rodriguez and I are working our hardest to invite members to do missionary work, magnify their callings, and love each other. We are excited about the work here because there is much faith in these members. Because of their faith they will answer the call to do missionary work, and as they do that I know the work of God will unify them.

My testimony is built upon a sure foundation, it always pushes me through. I see the testimonies pushing them through as well and I know that God is ready to pour out his blessings here in Cayenne if the missionaries and the members can be the obedient saints worthy of such blessings.

No comments: