Monday, January 25, 2010

"Man Going Crazy on Caroline Street" (Il Va Faire Caca)

Well, this was by far the worst week since I arrived in Cayenne, as far as numbers go. Aside from numbers, however, I feel very strongly the branch is on the right track. We are starting to teach much more effectively because of Elder Rodriguez and his Spanish. We are able to better strengthen the new Latino members, and better teach our Latino investigators. It was a little frustrating because we had a couple of investigators that didn't come to church because of the rain (it rained cats and dogs yesterday) . We have one kid, Christian, who is 15 who was preparing for baptism, but he didn't come yesterday. It really tears your heart out when they don't come. I imagine its a little bit what parents feel like when their kids don't choose the right...(sorry for being such an idiot sometimes). Luckily, he is still cool...with the criteria though we have to start them over and better teach them the importance of being at church on Sunday (the mission criteria is that they must come 3 weeks in a row before beings baptized, he had 2.). It's hard but honestly ... nothing should empeche (English translation: prevent) us from going to church! Or minimum to take the sacrament. If we are sick...we should go! and be healed! Sad or depressed, go and be comforted! Church is the best!

Well, dad asked about Elder Rodriguez...HE is a stud. We are getting along great. I'm grateful for his kick butt testimony that has already touched many people. I'm grateful for his courage, haha he has no fear! He jumps right into contacts as if he is jumping into an ice cold lake...he just goes for it! Even the people from mainland France! We are going to see great things together. He is learning quickly the basic doctrines and how to teach them by using the Book of Mormon.

We have a good time though. I bet it's the funniest thing in the world to watch us communicate. He speaks a little bit of English, a little bit of french, and of course Spanish. While I speak a little Spanish (I don't know many words though).

This last week we were eating lunch on some steps of the catholic church, out of no where Elder Rodriguez says "ARE YOU KIDDING ME! IL VA FAIRE CACA (he is going to go poo). You have to hear his accent though...there was some guy pooping across the street on the side walk. Elder Rodriguez couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day haha.

My testimony was shaking this last week as we worked to accomplish our goals. At first all i wanted to do was show Elder Rodriguez what a great transfer we would have and how we would accomplish every goal we set. I thought that I would be able to teach him how to do this. I thought I could do it...but I'd really forgotten how hard it really is, and how much work it takes to qualify for the grace of God. The truth is I tried to do it all myself. During the sacrament this week I realized why we had had such a terrible week. I didn't humble myself as I should have. BUT I now realize a little bit better what we need to do to accomplish all our goals, and so I'm grateful for that lesson.
HEY HAPPY BDAY TUCK....YOU ARE STILL A LITTLE SQUIRT...but you definitely don't suck! I love ya man..you are a good example for me...expect a letter this week or next week.
In response to a few questions:

Yeah, we are at four in the apartment. It is sweet though, every morning we wake up at 5 together to go runny on the beach...I have never been with a companion other than Copa that didn't mind waking up early...now we have 4!
How are the other areas in French Guiana doing?

The other branches in French Guiana are little branches...Matoury was in our building but ever since they got their new branch president they have started have reunions in his home which is a lot closer for members. Attendance has gone from 18 to 28 the last two weeks.

What are your initial observations about Elder Rodriguez?

EUROPEAN!!!!!

He is sweet...I give him a lot of crap because he read the Twighlight series, and he eats weird..but we just joke. He is from Seville, its the south of Spain.

No comments: