Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Back to the Island"

Heck ya! Conference was so kick butt this week! I loved it all, we were able to watch them in English, and normally I would feel that is weak sauce of me but it's just not the same with a translator; there is no fire, no power behind a translator's voice. I loved tons of the talks, Hollands was so great. My favorite speaker is always President Eyring though, as well as President Uchtdorf....oh and the prophet is good. But, yeah I loved it...This conference is so much more real for me this time, because I have been lucky enough to be engaged in the Lord's work for a while. I have been able to step outside of the world and glimpse for the first time the magnitude and importance of the Lord's work...and occasionally I feel I am blessed enough to get an idea or a picture of the state of the church. Especially here in Guadeloupe. For me the overall message of the conference was work...The prophet and apostles have have given each of us a call to give and share not only of our temporal blessings with those in need, but also of our spiritual blessings with those in need. To stand as testaments of Christ and his Cause. My testimony is stronger than ever. I want and feel I should fear at how wicked and difficult the world is and is becoming, but there is really no reason to fear when there is a prophet qnd the gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth. And we have the promise that we will never lose those again!

OK well back to more specific news...The Apartment was torn apart thanks to our quick exit from Guadeloupe 2 months ago. But, the first thing the missionaries did when we got here was to go to town on the apartments. We cleaned them up back to their normal selves in the time we waited for the new elders. No worries for boils here(boils have been spreading so bad! its disgusting! I got a good video of an elder that had one on his face, it was like he had a golf ball in the side of his mouth). Elder Snow did have one so hopefully that one doesn't spread.

This week has been a little unorganized for Elder Wright and I. There has been a lot of getting things in order, driving, and making sure elders have everything, but I still feel that we worked effectively as we are setting up the missionary program for the district. Elder Wright is the zone leader, and so we have worked with the district president of the Guadeloupe district, President Eclair to set up the branch missionary program. President Eclair is probably my favorite member. He is the best district president, and he has taught me a key to happiness. KICK BUTT! He says as long as your kickin' butt you will be happy. We have seen and taught all those who were investigating the church when we left and are still interested. We had 2 people from our branch in Moule and 2 from Lameltin who came, and we got member lessons with all those we could in between conference here. Other than that we have not had much time for teaching. Oh yeah, Elder Wright and I will be handling Moule also....its a long story and i don't want to explain..this email is already a textbook.

I loved hearing from you all. I'm definitely jealous of the dog walks...its so lame you bought a dog, i think I'm gonna need some pictures of sawyer pretty soon though

Love y'all

... and in the words of President Eclair I challenge all of you to KICK some butt this week!

.... and from some Q & A

What's happened with investigators as you've returned to the island?
We are all working that out...but I've got to tell you Rene and Luisante are doing great...Luisante was at both sessions of conference and although Rene could not make it this week, he has been called to teach Sunday School and has already given two great lessons! I was blown away by that.

Do you have a car?
Ya, im doomed, so much for not being fat.

How is the French?
French is actually doing a lot better. President Gamiette has challenged us to go French 24-7, so we have just started that. Its gone pretty well, although it's hard for the new elders though. Their "fathers" are having a hard time bonding with them with that barrier.

You said you missed some planes on your way to Guadeloupe. What happened? Oh nothin' much; we took care of it but I did want to tell you about the plane we took.. haha. Let's just say mom may have needed a new pair of pants if she took it. We took an 8 passenger plane from St. Martin to St. Barts. It was a legit plane...it sparked some old desires to become a pilot again.

Hopefully, Andy's plane did not look like this!

1 comment:

Julie said...

It's certainly an adventure to serve a mission. But boils? Yuk!