Monday, March 9, 2009

"Simply Complicated"

So this week I wanted to share this example of love and of humility. We have been trying for about a week to meet with this man Andrew whom we met at the hospital while we were visiting a member of the branch. He was working security and I got talking to him and asked if we could come by and share our message another time because He seemed like a really great guy that we could teach. However, because of his work schedule he never has time. We took his number so that we could give him a call and see when he would be free. We called and called because we know he could be a really great investigator and eventually member of the church and finally we were able to set up an appointment for Saturday. He lives by himself here on St Maarten and is working as a teacher Monday to Tuesday from 8 AM-3 PM and then working as a security guard from 7PM-7AM! Holy crap! I don't know hos is does it. But the reason is what blew me away: he is working all this so that his father may buy a home and sister may go to school, and he is not making much. So he doesn't have much time for anything else, and after we had a great lesson about the Plan of Salvation and answered some of the questions he had for us he let us know his wife had left him a year ago. With all that has occurred to him he is really a happy man, and I was really thankful for his humble example and encouraging hope. It's people like this man that make the work worth it, and make me want to do better at what I do. So I know its no amazing miracle story, but it is a miracle life.
But other than that I have been really enjoying myself here in St Maarten, and right from the start I wanted to make the most of the time that I would have here. I have tried to really work my hardest and to do as much good with members, inactives, and investigators as possible. But as I have continued to work work work, and pray and pray and pray, I find just how hard it is. It is so much harder than I thought to change hearts. We have people promise and swear they will be coming to church and they don't come, and I just ask why? I recently read the talk by Elder Holland at the mission president seminar where he believed the reason they don't come is because salvation is not easy and because it wasn't easy for our savior. That has really been a comfort this week as I have accepted and been humbled by the reminder that it was not easy for Christ. These people here have such potential but we have about 5 awesome people who have problems such as chastity or work holding them back from either coming to church or being baptized. So in regards to my testimony, I'm actually really thankful for times that are hard and trying as that's when we cultivate and show our testimonies. I know if we continue to work and show our faith in the Lord for this work, it will progress.
SO Sawyer looks like a pimp haha, but I'll flat out tell you right now, eventually I'll be his favorite...SO the jazz are awesome! D will is a pimp, is he scoring more than Chris Paul? Well, I'll try and attach some pics for this week, alright? I gotta go though, love you all.

No comments: