Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Conky Tonkin'"

Heyo Mommio!
Man you sound like an apostle .... it's so awesome to see you growing and how great an example you are to me. This week I have been reading in Alma about chapter 45 to the end of it. and the wars are really sweet. of course (especially Teancum...he is my boy!), but i was really touched to read about the 2000 stripling warriors and their mothers. I hope you know that I feel the reason I'm able to be here on my mission is because of you and the principles and faith that you have shown me in your life. You're the best mom. Ok, so I think I'm going to send a memory card home today or tomorrow; but send it back as soon as you can so I can get some more pictures before Christmas. Who knows maybe it will get there before Thursday so you can take some pictures of the party for me...Haha Grandma and Grandpa are the best...I hope Grandpa is back to scaring the little kids in the ward haha...well actually he scares people of every age, not just kids. Crap mom....you ruined the game for me! I think....well at least it was a win from what I can read between the lines.
So lets see what has gone on this week...I don't remember too much. We are teaching this family, the Lepenec family: an older man of about 60, his wife, a Portuguese woman of about 40, and their daughter about 14. The mom and the daughter have come to church on and off for about 3 years and have just got reacquainted with the missionaries. The other day I was talking with the mom and she told me she wants to visit Utah sometime...I asked her when she would be doing that and she replied after her baptism (have I told this story before? oh well who cares haha)! Anyway, Elder Garotta and I have been teaching them every couple of days since then, but the dad has become a problem. Basically he thinks we are a church that just tries to take people's money with our tithing. We have explained how it works; how no one is paid in our church. We have tried to build his testimony of Joseph Smith so he can have a testimony of his commandments, and nothing is working. All he wants to do is argue. So Elder Garotta and I fasted with the family yesterday, and we have faith that that might at least soften his heart to allow their baptisms ( that's the problem, he won't let them be baptized). Elder Garotta and I have set a high goal for baptisms by the end of the month, and we are hoping to get a few this week and a lot next month (I'm really missing the snow and want some type of white Christmas).
Speaking of White Christmas, Elder Garotta has a sweet version of the White Christmas song.....who was it by again....oh ya, Michael Buble! So sweet! We have made a tradition of singing it in the back of peoples' cars when we are on our way back from appointments; they like hearing the English Christmas songs...maybe not the voice that accompanies it so much, but haha...
k well mom i love you and love the family

Answers to family questions.
Did your baptism go through? Oh, I didn't even tell about his baptism to mom...but Louisant's baptism was awesome! A member of the branch did it which is good, its so much better to build those deep spiritual bonds between members than missionaries. He came to church yesterday to be confirmed and he looked like a new man.. so up beat and just looking great.
Can we rip you some Christmas CDs? What can or can't you listen to (Christmas music)? Most Christmas music we can listen to... I think basically anything except songs with romantic lyrics (probably wouldn't be the best for me cuz I'm a lover), but some kids have some Michael Buble christmas....haha I'm not jealous at all..
How did your "P" night go? P night got pushed back to the 5th because of some conflicts, but it is shaping up to be good...we need to get our pirate costumes together...but yeah I think Elder Garotta and I are just going to use some of our Mission fund money for it...it shouldn't be too much, and the members have been really kind at feeding us lately, probably like twice a week.
How are your feet? My feet are great...and I'm not really taking care of them either... I think they were just trying to scare us with all those myths..but I'm watching them..actually this morning we played soccer at this sweet beach and every one's feet were torn up and bloody, it was fun though
Did you buy a machete? NO! man Preparation day goes by way too fast; we never have time to buy stuff! I'm workin on it though...I'm keeping my eyes out for a killer one though
How much longer does Elder Garotta have on his mission? He leaves in February. We just got transfer calls to serve in Moule another transfer so I'm stoked to be with him. I get to hone my culinary skills for another 6 weeks...and that doesn't even count french help!

So the game was good? Man I'm excited...poor Tuck didn't get to go...I'm sure you could have gotten so much more for those tickets! But, its alright...haha i wanna see Tucker's model football picture though...the ladies all over it?

1 comment:

neffgang said...

I loved Andy's comment about his mother. I know that because of his mother and father and their sweet examples of love,courage, and faith throughout all his life, that he is as strong as a stripling warrior.

Love you guys-
Steph