Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"African Friend"

Jose William was finally baptized on Sunday. I felt bad because I really wanted a member to do it, but I couldn't tell him no when he asked. The baptism was great. Elder Rodriguez spoke as well as Mario.



The Branch President search is coming along well. Like I said to President Gamiette, Elder Lunt and I must be more prayerful, but this last week we met with a couple less active members and we are gonna see if we can start teaching them. At first I just assumed we would need to baptize him, but there are quite a few Melchizedek holders who are inactive and already have the experience necessary to be a great president. One is the district president's sons...Brother Litampha...he is married in the temple and his wife is just wonderful! Three fourths of the time he doesn't come she gets all 5 kids ready and teaches Sunday school. She is a returned missionary too, so he already has the built in support he would need. He worthy as well. His case is just one of laziness....there is also another man who is actually from America. He served a mission in France when he was my age. He ended up moving to French Guyana after his misison. His name is Mr Wilmur and hasn't been to church in 20 years....apparently he doesn't like the church here in Guyana and how it's run, but when he visits the states he goes to church. I know he sounds like a huge nerd, but that's what we are working with and who knows if the Lord has been preparing him.

The wealthy couple is not panning out to well...apparently the husband isn't too interested, and although the wife is interested, she is getting a lot of trouble from her husband. They actually got into a fight the another night about it...so we are going to give them some distance right now. We don't wanna cause problems.

I'm doing great...I'm getting up early and working out still, although I'm not able to run because no one wants to. It's not to bad because we have bikes. But boy I can't wait until I can get home and run whenever I want!

JOSE CA is doing great! He came to church another time, and he is just one of those Africans that should do Dentyne commercials...always smiling! I have learned a tiny bit of Portuguese from some of the Brazilian members, and with that and Spanish we can carry on a lesson but it's still really rough. I did a splits with Elder Rodriguez this last week and he is able to communicate in Spanish pretty well....my mind is starting to explode with all these languages though...currently we have investigators that speak only Spanish, Haitian creole(which I didn't know before), and Portuguese. I think the Lord is really blessing us to be able to teach and find these amazing humble people that let us and our terrible language share with them the message about the restoration! It is already blessing the life of Jose Ca...it's the best! How many people really heard that a young boy conversed with God and angels only 200 years ago? To most that is blasphemy! We are part of a very very few that have heard and believed in the message of the Restoration...and we are blessed for it, aren't we? The church is just so SAWEET!

Well I gotta go, but take care. I love ya!

Andy and Elder Lunt just after a huge hurricane....ok, maybe just a really big rain storm.

No comments: