Monday, March 8, 2010

"Only Time Will Tell"

This week was pretty difficult as you read (see the e-mail to Pres. Gamiette below), however, I'm not discouraged... it just means we have tons of room to improve. I love my companion, Elder Evans. He is a stud. He is from West Jordan. He played all kinds of sport there...track, water polo, volleyball. It's cool because he likes to work out. He is huge, a giant we could say. His personality and size remind me a lot of Pat! He is a motivated missionary, I believe, but the last couple transfers he has been with some elders who are not the most obedient. It's not difficult, but he wants to change I'm pretty sure. Actually, before we did any work together I asked, I asked him if he would like to pray with me for a moment so that we could really be unified and of one heart in accomplishing what we need to in Abymes. While he prayed he asked that the Lord help him be more obedient than he has been. I was really touched by his humility, and am grateful for his desire. Unfortunately, the change will take some time. But with the Lord's help, sooner rather than later.

He is a sweet guy though. He is kinda like me because in one sense he is a joker, loves sports, loves activity and goofin' around, but he also has his nerdy side. Superman, enders game, star wars....haha the best kind of man!

To answer your questions:
Well, you pronounce Abymes come (a-beemes,and no I have never been in the branch before. They are in the same building however as Lamentin(so I got to see all my buddies over there, SCHWEET!). But, I already knew quite a few of the Abymes members. The only problem is that hardly any of them live in our area. There are two sets of missionaries in the Abymes branch. Point a Pitre and Abymes...and most of the members live in Point a Pitre...but there are inactives and new converts in ours. OH YEAH, and also Moule now comes to the Abymes branch so a couple of days of the week we visit those members. I saw Luisant(my first baptism in Moule) I was so happy to talk with him and actually understand him. I also saw George who is doing sweet in Lamentin! He is a butt kicker, he is teaching with the missionaries a couple of times a week and doing great. We were both excited to see each other.

It's sad though Elder Snow is not in Guadeloupe so I won't see him before he dies. He is going home next transfer! He is in St Martin. I talked to him the other day though. Everyone in his ward and in his family except his dad think he is coming home a month later. He told them he extended his mission, haha. He wanted to surprise his mom. He says she was pretty bummed when he told her that he was staying an extra month haha.

Well i gotta bounce> LATER

Andy's letter to President Gamiette:

Dear President,

This is one of those weeks where I'm a little ashamed of having to report to you such low numbers. I know that we and the members can do better. Our first real day of work was Thursday and my companion fell sick on Sunday. So these are our three day numbers. When I arrived there were no progressing investigators. I know that this area has been hard for the last few transfers, but I have faith we can see great success here if we work with all the members here. Our goal is to really strengthen them and help them practice all the traditions of Zion, including that of missionary work. We are getting referrals and people are preparing for the temple. I'm grateful to be in a place that needs a lot of improvement. I know there are many things that I'll be able learn and many ways in which I'll be able to help.

When I arrived my first goal was to make sure my companion and I would be one…so we prayed and talked about goals, and the plan of the mission. I know that this plan is the unifying factor and stepping stone to bringing Abymes to the next level. But first we must be one, and make sure everyone has and is aware of our work and goals. Elder Evans and I discussed the mission plan with our wonderful branch president Kasango.

My testimony is strong. I'm learning more and more each week about sanctifying myself so that I might be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to bringing others, whomever it may be, unto Him. I feel that I have an incredible long distance to go before I reach where I want to be, but little by little, it comes.

No comments: