Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"No Plane on Sunday"

The great thing about being a man...it doesn't matter what we wear, and even less as a missionary....its all the same no matter what! Well it sounds like the Christmas season is on in full swing! This is truly the best time of year. This has easily been one of the weirdest weeks of my mission. Wednesday I headed to Trinidad and we had the sweetest zone leader council. President Gamiette had us up each morning doing a physical challenge before we started our spiritual training. The first day was a hike up the mountain carrying one of our fellow missionaries. That was tough, and then the next was a 5 o'clock run. President Gamiette is a machine. He killed everybody! The spirituality of the conference was bar none. I have never felt so uplifted and clear of mind as I did this week. We counseled in unity and really came together to catch the vision that President Gamiette has for the mission, his vision that is unified with that of the Area Presidency who had received it from the apostles and after the prophet. President Gamiette taught using the parable of the olive trees, and how at this time in the West Indies the church has heavy, heavy branches(many new converts) but not the roots(solid members) to withstand the weight. I believe there are 10000 members of record and 2500 at church each week...our mission goal for 2010 is to raise that to 5000 active members. There were many other goals set and other things learned. I feel as a boat with a great wind behind its sail....the only problem hindering me is getting to French Guiana. I have been in Trinidad since Wednesday. I was supposed to fly to Suriname last night and onto cayenne this morning, however, I guess I need a Suriname visa even to be in transit. So this morning we went to get me that. Oh and by the way this whole week I have been chilling with Chas (Barton)..who is President Gamiette's new assistant. IT HAS BEEN SWEET! Its pretty surreal...the weirdest part is that it is not weird...its just as if we are back at home. He is a great elder though...and my boy...I'll get you some pics next week of us two. SOOO well I guess the only success story I have for ya has to do with the two elders I worked with Saturday and Sunday. They are in one of the Trinidad zones and have not been doing so well. They have been getting discouraged and what not. I was assigned to work with them for Saturday and Sunday. They had no investigators and no one one to see. Before Saturday they had had 5 contacts. So Saturday morning we fixed a goal for 70 contacts in two days: 40 Saturday and 30 Sunday. We went out and got them...neither of the elders had ever had 70 contacts in a week. I saw their faith shoot through the roof. It was sweet. Their spirits have been boosted, Elder Park and Sookram both are excited to get 70 contacts this week. It's ridiculous how easy it was here in Trinidad...300% easier. Other than that I haven't been able to even talk to my comp...hopefully I'll fly out tomorrow...pray for me...I really wanna go get started down in French Guiana.

I'm glad to hear the jazz are back on form. They are the best. I wish everyone a jolly week, and reminder to kick butt! It's Christmastime! Invite someone to church, or over for Christmas!

Know that I love you all and miss you all especially at this awesome time of year!

Andy

ps I guess I wont be flying out until tomorrow night too and then I'll spend one night in Martinique then onto French Guiana. This is lame...but what can you do, hopefully I can make the best of it. I'm aching to see my comp and my area and just get to work. I feel so useless here. Right now I'm in the office.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Crazy with all the travel and such. Also crazy to be with Chaz again.

I can just see Andy inspiring the other elders (with The Eye of the Tiger running through his head)