Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Stories We Could Tell"

HELLOOOO FAMILY
---As I regard our numbers for the week I definitely see that the need with our investigators is that they need to be challenged to baptism. Elder Heiner and I recently read a quote by a recent general authority that says any friend of the church that has attended a sacrament meeting should be invited to be baptized. That's something we definitely could work on. This week went really well, though, for not having been in Guadeloupe for over half the week. I came back and all our investigators had received exactly what they needed for their progression. I love Elder Heiner and am so grateful for his hard work! I'm not going to lie though....there have been countless times where i would have loved to put the smack down on that kid. He is by far the hardest companion that I have had yet...but how can you not love and be grateful for someone that serves the Lord. That is the unifying element of all things. Any relationship or friendship can be saved in serving the Lord, and I know that's true. I had thought Elder Heiner was one of the most prideful know-it[alls ever, but I was wrong. He loved the Lord and worked hard, and I was humbled and things worked great!

The transition this next week will be different because some other elders will be taking over our area, but I'm confident they won't skip a beat. My testimony is strong, especially after the inspiring experiences in Trinidad. I loved reading about Oliver Cowdry and his quote of his time with Joseph Smith, "these are the days never to be forgotten". I realized that is exactly the words I want to say every moment of my life...in the service of my Savior.

Elder Wright will be going to S. Martin. Elder Snow and I are back together. The boys are back....the boys are back.....he is a stud....I think he was kind of surprised that president assigned him as zone leader, but he is ready to kick butt.

Man, Chas (Barton) is such a G....He is doing work down in Trinidad and now Guyana....it was surprisingly not at all weird to see him...it did make me feel at home and like no time has gone by at all. I wonder if it will be like that with all of you....but he is my buddy, life long friend for sure....these days in the West Indies are the days never to be forgotten!!!!

All the Zone leaders in Trinidad just got pumped up...we set goals to break some records, to baptize and retain more, to work harder, to get up earlier...I love this band of brothers, and now I feel a lot closer to all the missionaries in the west indies, not just the French elders. And it's again thanks to the Lord...because we are all in this fight, working and serving him, we are unified. This week we felt the Lord's blessings pour out on the mission. We had the most baptisms in a week than the West Indies have ever had, 68...beating the record by 2...We in Guadeloupe had only three of those, but that's pretty good for us. Elder Snow and I should have a baptism coming up this next week.

Oh yeah! The first thing I noticed about Trinidad was that everything was so much cheaper...their restaurants cost the same as our toilet paper...lousy EURO! But doubles is the thing Trinidad is known for...they are very hard to explain though...its on a type of pita bread with this very diarrhea looking sauce that is full of some good spices.

"Doubles" look like this. It is a curried chick pea filling inside fried bread - usually with mango chunks and served with pepper sauce (very very hot in Trinidad)



Really I don't need much...your love, support, and prayers are enough. there was one thing i do want though that would be great. I want a stone that has Eben-nezar engraved on it....if you look in the Bible dictionary it explains what it means...it could be spelled wrong by the way. i love what it represented to the Israelites! Basically its means...alright...GO KICK BUTT

Speaking of butt....I probably ate the grossest thing on my mission this last week...straight up pig butt...it was about 2 inches thick and 1 and one half of it was the skin of the pig and the other half meat. You could taste and feel the texture of hairs and all that...I about ralphed! it took about 5 minutes to chew each bite. yuk! Most things I don't have problems with but...ya

With transfers on Wednesday, things will be wild driving all the elders around and picking up people at the airport, but hopefully not too wild.

5 comments:

Emily P said...

Andy is amazing! He has so much energy. Maybe when he gets home he can come be my manny.

Suz said...

What a great missionary. I however, could not eat the food. Good for you Andy! You are in our prayers. We love you very much!

Garr's Mom said...

So fun he got to see Chaz! He is the best!! I can't believe he ate that pig butt!!

Jenn said...

Andy you Rock! I just love reading your thoughts on serving the Lord. Isn't it great how normal your life feels? Meanwhile the rest of us are amazed at your faith and endurance. Keep up the good work-and God Speed!

Jmort said...

Andy is really rockin & rollin there. It is awesome to see the good works of these young men!!