Monday, February 9, 2009

"Bigger Than the Both of Us"

The area of Gosier is struggling right now it feels. Members live too far to be doing any work with them because of the "greve" or strike. No one has gas, and so although Elder Snow and I are doing a lot (I feel we are working harder than we have before, it feels like we aren't getting results. We had 3 investigators planning to come to church this week but couldn't make it. We even went out of the way to pick one up, Madame Rose, but she was sick. I love her to death; she has the biggest smile ever, but she has a lot of problems. She told us the other day she has thought about killing herself and how her son had done the same. I think we took care of it though...but when we have lessons like that its discouraging. Everything seems to be stacked against us. We have to see our investigators, and because of the strike there is no bus, so we "waste" a lot of time walking 2-3 hours a day which I feel guilty about. However, even with all this I know the Lord is on our side and as we keep working harder and harder, and pray harder and harder, He will answer our prayers. I dont know God's plan for our investigators or Gosier for that manner. All I can hope to do is work as hard as I can and remain worthy for the spirit and all will go well. Elder Snow also helps me from getting too down on myself, and is always a bright spot. I know the standard of truth is erected and that this work goes forth, not just in other parts of the world but in Gosier.

The strike continues here. This week a minister of France who was here left negotiations basically because he s
aid the people are dumb...I have no idea when its going to end. haha We loaded up on whatever food the supermarche s had: rice, pasta, etc, but I think we are out of gas for the stove, which wouldn't be good. So hopefully it ends soon. If not, I'm sure it will be fine. It would be fun if we start having to boil water by fire!










GUADELOUPE STRIKE

In response to some our questions, Andy wrote:

How is it going back to Moule? Did you like the Gosier apartment better? We have not moved back yet, and aren't moving until after the greve, so who knows when I'll be back.
How do you handle going to church in two areas? Are the meetings at the same time? I don't think we will be handling Gosier. I think they will close it until new missionaries come in in April. So soon Gosier will be needing lots of prayers as the missionary work will be left to the members for a time.
Is Luissant back from France? Oh yeah, I forgot to tell ya. I saw him at the bapistm of Renai! He was doing great; I was so excited to see him. I didn't get to talk to him much, but he is doing good. He is my boy.
Is Elder Snow a runner? No, but the great thing is there are some huge hills right outside our apartment and he will at least get up to watch me...so that's nice of him. We kinda got into a fight at the first of the week because I wanted to go all french, which he was not a fan of...after a couple of days he was fine with it though. Its just more difficult to communicate in another language. I never would marry a french girl that didnt speak english...you definately need to be able to communicate well
How is it finding food? Still plenty of food available? Yeah sorta, there is a bunch of bread, no meat really, not much pasta, but lots of rice...not tons of fruit too which is lame.
Are banks open? Thats the weird thing, they are about normal. Nobody is freaking out too bad...well no, the supermarkets can be kinda crazy

So I didnt have much time again cuz we couldnt go to our regular email place but I hope all is well. I love your emails and all y'all. No worrying 'bout me here, it really is fine.

Avec amour
Elder Neff

3 comments:

Julie said...

What's this about marrying a french girl?

With all the troubles in the area, Andy still sounds positive. That's great! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Jmort said...

Man things have changed a lot in the 30 years since I was a missionary. We walked two to three hours every day for 2 years and there never was a strike. The villages were just so far apart. No buses, no cars (yes they were invented we just didn't have any). Interesting how all the boys are having different experiences while carrying the same message of peace to the world.

Unknown said...

Hey - I have an idea.....Why don't they run to the appointments. They could do their sport while getting to their appointments or their internet cafe??

Love, Grandmakathie