Monday, November 2, 2009

"Bring Back the Magic"


It was such a great feeling to come back to Lamentin and see some of the great sisters and brothers I had worked with just a month ago. I was so impressed by the changes that I have seen in the branch of Lamentin since I left 6 weeks ago. When I left, there was much disorder, and during the meetings on Sunday the spirit was prohibited. We didn’t start on time, and there were kids running around, but since President Eclar has been made present the house of the Lord has been put into order and there was a reverence and peace during the meeting that had not been present before. I mentioned the feelings I felt during a powerful testimony meeting. One of the sisters got up after me and explained that the changes that I saw were individuals becoming more converted. Our conversion is truly a lifetime process isn’t it? We had 2 investigators at church Madame David and her son, and there is no question that they both felt the spirit, and so they should be baptized pretty soon. They will be going to a family tonight with another family of the branch. This week was another miracle for me. By the time I arrived on Wednesday we had 0 contacts. And on top of that Elder Cottum and I had very little time for proselyting because of transfers, we had to close an apartment in Moule, and had to go to Basseterre to bring the elders some furniture for their apartment, and then car problems. In all we had 3 hours Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoon and night, and then Sunday after church. We prayed and strived to have 70 contacts still and got them done. We made a point of challenging all the companionships in the zone to have 70 contacts so we sure had better them, too. Already we are seeing God's blessings pour out. This morning, a girl who didn’t even give us her number or address called us asking questions about the brochure we gave her, and was really interested in getting a copy of the Book of Mormon. I know obedience is the key to missionary work, and 70 contacts is the first thing asked of us. I was convinced that this is a key to success after last week. Elder Nelson and I did all we could to have 70 contacts and we were blessed to have 5 incredible people at church (that's why last week was so great). I won't lie though....getting 70 contacts takes its toll. Today we were standing in need of 23 contacts. Normally, Sundays are the roughest too as no one is on the streets to contact. But it was a holiday...All Saints Day...so everyone was at the cemetery...haha we talked with everyone!!! probably 200 people, but we got them!!! It is definitely missionary work at a new level. But it is exhilarating to see us reach our goals! This week we will be able to settle down to the normal 10 contacts each day.

Our zone is solid!!! We are even younger than we were before...right now there are 2 elders older than me. Right now there are 8 companionships including the Collings. There are companionships in Gosier, Abymes, Point a Pitre, Capestterre, and 2 in Bassterre. I was sad to come back and have to close Moule, but President Gamiette is pushing to have a stake...and the smaller branches are joining the bigger ones.

Elder Cottom is doing great. He is a great elder, and works extremely hard. He is from Colorado...haha I think he will be a challenging companion. He just got over from the English side of the mission, and doesn't speak any french...I know president knew what he is doing though...but contacts are much harder because we can't split up and do them...I'm speaking french all the time with him though so hopefully that will pick up. Other than that he is an experienced and hard working companion. He is one that never played sports, never watched movies, as far as I've gathered he was on the computer his whole life before the mission.

George my latest baptism (in Guadeloupe) is awesome..I was so excited to see he has received the priesthood, passing the sacrament, and working with the missionaries. You talked about Ashley and Hillary they are still going to church with their mom, Patricia. The only bad news is that Rene has moved from Moule and is in St Martin, but Elder Snow was moved there and is tracking him down for me.

I did a deep study on the relation between faith and miracles. I read Mormon chapter 9 that shot my faith through the ceiling this week. I testify God will give us all that we demand of him, as long as we doubt not. Sometimes our faith is insufficient and we do doubt, but we can pray and fast that our faith will be sufficient!

Hey I wanted to thank Hilly for her postcard. I was so stoked to see Flaming Gorge... I can't believe she is now 15! Holy shmokes! Time is flying by.

No comments: